VOLCANO: AGU Session V07: Mantle Heterogeneity: Origin, Scales and Caveats

AGU Session V07: Mantle Heterogeneity: Origin, Scales and Caveats
From: Jasper Konter <jgkonter@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

With the Fall AGU deadline coming up later this week, we would like to point out our session on mantle heterogeneity, which aims to bring together geochemical, petrological and theoretical research. We are anticipating an exciting session that will try to link theoretical concepts to processes and observations.

Looking forward to your contribution.

Sincerely,
Jasper Konter
Eric Hellebrand
Pietro Armienti

V07:    Mantle Heterogeneity: Origin, Scales and Caveats

Chemical heterogeneities, observed on all length- and timescales at mid-ocean ridges and ocean islands, provide key information for understanding mantle convection. There remains much debate regarding the composition, origin and spatial distribution of heterogeneous regions. Advances in the precision and number of isotopic measurements have provided more insight through the chemical concept of mantle components (e.g. C, FOZO, and PHEM) whose physical meaning is however to be fully defined, since subduction, phase transitions, fluid migration and core/mantle reactions all appear able to induce complex mantle geology. In addition, mass fluxes related to reactive melt and fluid migration in crust and mantle, may be equally important in the creation and obliteration of such heterogeneities. This session is aimed at bringing together members of the OIB, ridge, ophiolite and margins community and invite all geochemical, petrological and theoretical contributions that help tackling in a new perspective the old problem of heterogeneity.