VOLCANO: AGU Session V31: The Dynamics of Small Scale Magmatic Systems: Linking the Mantle to the Volcano

**********************************************************************************************************************************
AGU Session V31: The Dynamics of Small Scale Magmatic Systems: Linking the Mantle to the Volcano
From: Ian Smith, ie.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
**********************************************************************************************************************************

Dear Colleagues

We would like to strongly encourage you to submit an abstract for the Fall AGU session: contribution to our session:

V31: The Dynamics of Small Scale Magmatic Systems: Linking the Mantle to the Volcano

Sponsor: Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology

Small scale basaltic systems represent the minimal extreme of basaltic magmatism on Earth. Because of the very small rates of magma flux subtle chemical signatures are preserved that are overwhelmed in larger scale systems. These are revealed by detailed sampling of individual cones in volcano fields. Similarly where the magma flux is low, complex and characteristic deposits result from what is essentially a competition between the magmatic system and the environment into which it is erupted. We are interested in studies that have investigated both the deeper environment of magma production and the surficial eruption environment. We would also like to bring together studies of small scale systems from different tectonic settings. We expect that the session stimulate a wide ranging discussion and will open future research directions. The session is supported by the recently formed IAVCEI commission on monogenetic volcanism.

Session description
V31 will focus on the mechanisms controlling eruption dynamics and cone formation in small scale basaltic magmatic systems (magma flux below about 10-5 km3/a) that are expressed at the Earth’s surface as volcano fields. These types of volcano commonly show geochemical variations which reflect the processes of melt extraction and deep fractionation that occur in near source environments and thus provide a unique window on the way that magmas behave within the mantle. In turn, the subsequent behaviour of the magma at low pressures controls gas exsolution and segregation processes that influence eruptive phenomena. The aim of this session is to bring together scientists with interests in different parts of these small scale basaltic volcanic systems in order to progress understanding of the whole. Contributions from multidisciplinary approaches ranging across tectonic setting, scoria cone studies, geophysical and volcanological observations of ongoing activity, magma composition, volatile content, magma flux rates and eruption rates, numerical modelling, plumbing geometry, and hazard analysis are particularly encouraged.

Please consider submitting an abstract for this session, and we look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Convener:       Ian E M Smith
University of Auckland
Geology-SGGES, University of Auckland
 PB92019, Auckland Mail Centre
Auckland, NZL  1142
+649373759987416
ie.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karoly Nemeth
Massey University
Volcanic Risk Solutions, Massey University, PO Box 11 222
Palmerston North, NZL
+6463569099
k.memeth@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kathy Cashman