AGU Session V08: The Physics and Chemistry of Ignimbrites: 40 Years of Progress?

From: Colin Wilson  colin.wilson@xxxxxxxxx

Dear Colleagues

It's coming up to that time of the year when the deadlines for the Fall AGU meeting provide the incentive for some thinking about what to present. We would invite you to consider a contribution to our session:

V08: The Physics and Chemistry of Ignimbrites: 40 Years of Progress?

Sponsor: Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology
CoSponsor:  Mineral and Rock Physics

Ignimbrites, or ash-flow tuffs, represent the largest erupted bodies of silicic magma on Earth. Their eruptions are the largest credible terrestrial natural hazard to humanity, and the deposits are the source of knowledge about physical processes in the largest-scale explosive eruptions and magmatic processes in the Earth's crust. In the ca. 40 years since R.L. Smith and co-workers published widely influential reviews of ash-flow tuffs, many studies of the physics and chemistry of ignimbrites and their eruptions have been presented, but there are still numerous unanswered questions. This session seeks contributions across the physical and chemical range of approaches to ignimbrites and what can be learned about the timing and mechanisms for generation and emplacement of these rock bodies. We encourage submissions that address integrated approaches to the dynamics of ignimbrite emplacement, impacts of such eruptions, and the nature and dynamics of the magmatic systems that gave rise to these eruptions.

Within this session we would solicit contributions across three interleaved themes:
(a) The timing and eruptive dynamics of ignimbrite-producing events and how these are reflected in, or revealed by, the shape, distribution and internal architecture of the deposits.
(b) How information about the nature, form and dynamics of large silicic magma chambers can be gained from studies of ignimbrites and their eruptions.
(c) Insights into the internal or external factors that control when, where and how large ignimbrite-forming eruptions occur from crustal magma chambers.

We would like to see contributions that apply integrated approaches (any combination of field, theoretical and laboratory-based) to yield fundamental insights into how ignimbrite-forming volcanic systems operate. In addition, we welcome contributions on any topical studies within the broad area encompassed by the session title, with strong encouragement for graduate students to submit abstracts. Many of the concepts outlined by R.L. Smith and co-workers are still adhered to today - how have we built on, or how can we improve on, these early insights?

Please consider submitting an abstract for this session, and we look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

The Conveners:

Colin Wilson
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600