2009 GSA Session- PHYSICS OF VOLCANIC ERUPTIONS: IMPLICATIONS FOR HAZARDS

From: Larry Mastin <lgmastin@xxxxxxxx>

Colleagues:

The deadline of

August 11, 2009

is fast approaching for the 2009 Geological Society of America
National Meeting, to be held in, Portland, Oregon (USA), October
18-21, 2009.

PLEASE CONSIDER CONTRIBUTING TO THE FOLLOWING TOPICAL SESSION

"PHYSICS OF VOLCANIC ERUPTIONS: IMPLICATIONS FOR HAZARDS"
Conveners: Larry G. Mastin; Donald B. Dingwell; Kelly Russell

This session explores the physical processes involved in volcanic
eruptions and the effects of these processes on hazards. We encourage
process-oriented field, laboratory, theoretical, numerical, and
instrumental studies with significant implications for hazards.

Rationale:
Volcanic eruptions and their associated hazards are the culmination of
many processes under active study. These include the flow, fracture,
or fragmentation of magma within dikes or conduits; magmatic
degassing; interaction of ascending magma with surface or subsurface
water; and, for pyroclastic eruptions, the interaction of particles
with air, water, and the ground surface within plumes, ash clouds, and
pyroclastic flows. To a first order, we know that properties such as
viscosity or gas content govern styles of eruption, ranging from lava
effusion to explosive pyroclastic jets. We also understand the basic
properties such as temperature, efficiency of air entrainment, etc.
that govern whether pyroclastic jets develop into buoyant plinian
columns or collapse. Over the last decade, these processes have been
simulated via increasingly sophisticated numerical models, some of
which have been used to forecast hazards during real eruptions. But
the realism of such models, and their value in assessing hazards, has
been limited by how accurately they represent physical properties of
the magma, gas, atmosphere, and host rock; and how accurately they
simulate physical processes of transport, deformation, mixing, and
phase interaction. In this session, we examine the state of the art in
eruption physics, with emphasis toward hazards applications. We invite
contributions from experiments, numerical simulations, field studies,
and new instruments or techniques that shed light on these processes.

For more information:
http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2009/sessions/topical.asp?CatID=Volcanology&submit=Go

Larry Mastin
Don Dingwell