Rocky has climbed his final mountain

From: Janet Cullen Tanaka <jmtanaka@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Friends, Brothers and Sisters of the geological/volcanological community,

Dr. Dwight R. (Rocky) Crandell passed away from a heart attack Monday
evening, Apr. 6.  I received the news from his daughter, Jane Crandell
Monserud just after 9pm.

I so wanted to have his biography finished and published before his
death, but it didn't happen. Now I will write the final chapter.

I don't have any particulars yet, but both daughters, Jane and Margie,
will be in touch with me.

I have known Rocky as a mentor and a friend since the late 1960's. He
stood up for me when some other geologists ignored my studies. From
the very beginning he treated me like an equal. (Which, geologically,
I wasn't) I was honored  when he chose me to write his authorized
biography. In connection with that, if you have any good stories about
him, please send them on to me (please, no pdf or acrobat
attachments).

Rocky wasn't a religious person, and I know some of you aren't either.
If you are, please remember him and his family in your prayers. If
you're not, please do something good for someone in his name.  Thanks.

Janet Cullen Tanaka