SSA 2009 Annual Meeting - Volcano Monitoring Special Session

From: Charlotte Rowe <char@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues:

We would like to draw your attention to a special volcano monitoring session
being convened at the 2009 Seismological Society of America annual meeting.
The meeting will be held 8-10 April, at the Portola Hotel & Spa in Monterey,
California. Please note the abstract submission deadline is 11 January.
You can visit the meeting website,
http://www.seismosoc.org/meetings/2009/index.php
for more details.

Our session announcement is outlined below. We hope you'll consider contributing
to the session and joining us in Monterey!

Best regards,
Charlotte Rowe
Seth Moran

Volcano Monitoring Using Seismology and Complementary Methods

The field of volcano seismology increasingly faces a dual challenge. On the one
hand, volcano observatories are increasingly using data from multiple monitoring
fields (seismology, geodesy, gas geochemistry, remote sensing, hydrology, and
others), often collected in real time, to achieve a broader understanding and
reduce uncertainty in the interpretation of precursory and eruptive phenomena.
To take full advantage of such datasets, new analytical programs, graphical user
interfaces, and databases are needed for integrating, displaying, and modeling
such multiparametric and large datasets. On the other hand, it is still the case
that the majority of volcanoes around the world are monitored by just a handful
of seismometers. Thus it is also paramount that progress be made in analyzing
and modeling such instrument-poor datasets. We invite contributions on any
aspect of volcano monitoring, but encourage those that focus either on analyzing
multi-parametric datasets or on squeezing as much information as possible from
limited monitoring datasets. We especially encourage presentations regarding
monitoring and hazard assessment/mitigation at North American volcanoes;
however, contributions from other regions are also welcome.

Conveners

Seth Moran <smoran@xxxxxxxx>
Charlotte Rowe <char@xxxxxxxx>