Micro-Analysis, Processes, Time (MAPT) Meeting

From: Jon Davidson <j.p.davidson@xxxxxx>

Micro-Analysis, Processes, Time (MAPT) meeting
Edinburgh, 1-3 September (Min Soc)
Website
http://www.minersoc.org/pages/meetings/MAPT/MAPT.html

We draw particular attention of the Volcanological community to the
following session;

"The role of microanalysis and microtextures in understanding magmatic
processes"
convened by Jon Davidson, Marian Holness and Dan Morgan

Description;

The study of petrographic textures has always been a key part of
igneous petrology, and the microscope remains a fundamental tool in
understanding magmatic systems. In recent years, though, a range of
technological and analytical advances has opened up new frontiers in
petrographic research. We can now investigate microscopic textures at
ever-smaller scales, and even in 3-D.  Furthermore, we can integrate
in situ geochemical analyses of elements and their isotopes to trace
petrogenetic timescales and processes. These opportunities have led to
significant advances in our understanding of magmatic processes.
This session will welcome contributions on the application of
microanalysis and microtextural studies to igneous rocks. Examples may
include microgeochemical analysis; in situ dating; micro-scale
analysis of textures and structures in magmatic rocks; and the use of
microscopic features in understanding rates and timescales of magmatic
processes.

Thank you,

Jon Davidson