Volcano-Ice Interactions at the 2007 Joint Assembly

*********************************
From: Sarah Fagents <fagents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*********************************

Dear colleagues,

We wish to draw your attention to the following VGP session at the 2007 Joint
Assembly in Acapulco, Mexico, May 22-25.  Please consider submitting an
abstract and joining us for what promises to be a stimulating session.  Further
details can be found at http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/.

Sarah Fagents, University of Hawaii (fagents@xxxxxxxxxx) and John Smellie,
British Antarctic Survey (JLSM@xxxxxxxxx).

V06:  Understanding Volcano-Ice Interactions: Integration of Field, Remote
Sensing, and Modeling Approaches

Interactions between volcanism and snow or ice lead to a diversity of eruption
products, landforms and hazardous phenomena. Examples include the formation of
steep-sided tuyas during eruptions under ice caps and the generation of lahars
by mixing of pyroclastic materials with summit snowpack. While often poorly
observed, the consequences can be highly hazardous to adjacent communities.
Furthermore, subglacial edifices exposed by glacier removal yield information
on past climatic conditions. The potential for volcano-ice interactions to have
occurred on Mars means that a rigorous understanding of the terrestrial
glaciovolcanism is necessary before we can understand the implications for the
evolution of the martian climate and environment. Progress towards
understanding the variety and consequences of volcano-ice interactions comes
though field studies of exposed edifices and deposits, remote sensing and
geophysical monitoring, and modeling of the physics of heat transfer and fluid
dynamics. In this session we seek to bring together practitioners in these sub-
disciplines to highlight recent advances in our understanding and to map the
path to further progress in elucidating the mechanisms and consequences of
volcano-ice interactions.

Sarah A. Fagents
Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1680 East-West Road, POST 508A
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: 808-956-3163