AGU Session V17: Prehistoric Hazards: Volcanoes and Archaeology

AGU JOINT ASSEMBLY SESSION V17: Prehistoric Hazards: Volcanoes and Archaeology
From:
Michael Ort <michael.ort@xxxxxxx>

We would like to draw attention to an unusual VGP session at the Joint Assembly in Acapulco, Mexico, May 22-25. This session focuses on prehistoric volcanic hazards and we hope to draw both archaeologists and volcanologists. Please pass this note along to anyone you think may be interested, especially in archaeological circles.

Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is 1
March. For more information go to: {http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/"; }
http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/
where you can find an online submission form.

Description: Much of what we know about volcanic eruptions comes from geologic studies of prehistoric eruptions, yet much of our knowledge of volcanic hazards stems from historic eruptions. An understanding of human responses to eruptions in the prehistoric past may help us predict future human reactions to similar eruptions. To do this, we must understand the archaeological details, such as the level of complexity of the affected cultures and their response to the eruption, as well as the volcanic story. This session offers archaeologists and geologists the opportunity to share their studies of prehistoric eruptions. We seek studies that combine volcanology and archaeology to describe prehistoric eruptions and their effects upon human society. Studies of volcanic effects upon settlements, agriculture, and religion are welcome.

Conveners: Michael Ort
Northern Arizona University
Geology and Environmental Sciences
 PO Box 4099