Fall AGU session: Yellowstone Hotspot

***************************************
Fall AGU session: Yellowstone Hotspot
***************************************
From: Dennis Geist <dgeist@xxxxxxxxxx>

V27:  Snake River Plain as a Probe of Mantle-Lithosphere-Climate
Dynamics

  Sponsor: Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology
CoSponsor: Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, Tectonophysics

The track of the Yellowstone hotspot ? from its initial impingement on
the North American continent to its present influence in western
Wyoming ? produced a unique and world-class record of hotspot-continent
dynamics that is still active today. In this session, we will explore
the volcanic and tectonic response of the Snake River Plain and
adjacent provinces to the influence of the hotspot and how this informs
our understanding of continental dynamics, the geochemical and thermal
evolution of Earth, climatic response to these drivers, and assess how,
as the scientific community readies itself for an upcoming EarthScope
campaign, we can make better use of these records. We invite
contributions that link geochemical and geophysical perspectives on the
lithospheric response to the influence of the hotspot, including
interactions between magma sources, magma-crust interaction, and
lithosphere restructuring. We also invite contributions that link the
paleo-climatic and paleo-environmental records of the Snake River Plain
to global models of climate evolution. We are especially interested in
contributions that employ innovative new techniques and ideas.

  Conveners:
  John W. Shervais
Utah State University
Logan, Utah, USA  84341-3029