Inquiry about the surface of active volcanoes during the last 5000 years

From: Pedro Hernandez <phdez@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,
I am the IP of a three years scientific project  with the title: GLOBAL DIFFUSE
CARBON DIOXIDE EMISSION TO THE ATMOSPHERE BY SUBAERIAL VOLCANISM. Most of the
studies on global CO2 emissions to the atmosphere by  subaerial volcanoes have
not taken into consideration the diffuse CO2 degassing process. Therefore, the
goal of this project will be to perform a significant number of direct
observations on diffuse CO2 degassing from volcanoes located at different
tectonic and climate environments to provide a better estimation of the global
CO2 emission to the atmosphere by the subaerial volcanism. Our plan is to
estimate the total output of diffuse CO2 degassing from 30 volcanoes and,
together with the data published in the literature, obtain the mean value of
diffuse CO2 degassing per area unit (km2). Once we have this value, we will be
able to extrapolate it to all the active volcanoes during the last 5000 years.

For this reason, I need to know the surface (Km2) of the active volcanoes
during the last 5000 years.

If somebody can help me on this matter, I really will appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Pedro Hernandez

Contact:
Dr. Pedro A. Hernández Pérez
Research Scientist
Environmental Research Division
INSTITUTO TECNOLÓGICO Y DE ENERGÍAS RENOVABLES - ITER
Polígono Industrial de Granadilla S/N
Granadilla 38611
Tenerife, Canary Islands, SPAIN
Tel: +34 922 391000