Re: 802.1p only?

Thanks again for the response.

>> So this is the problem. And there is nothing Linux can do about this.
>> I would investigate if the switch that you are using can indeed be
used the way you want.

I was thinking it's a problem on the switch too. But after spending some time to read the standard, it appears to me that the switch was doing everything right. If you think it's wrong, please clarify what should the "DHCP offer" packet look like.

There was a similar discussion in this forum two years ago:

http://www.candelatech.com/pipermail/vlan/2005-February/000241.html

As Ben Greear said in the above page: "I don't think VLAN-0 is going to work, and at the very least, you cannot use .1p w/out using .1q as the headers are one and the same."

Is the above conclusion still true? If yes, is there any plan to make 802.1p work without using 802.1q on Linux?

On Dec 14, 2007 2:11 PM, Peter Stuge <stuge-vlan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:47:06PM -0800, Xin Huang wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. The switch is the DHCP server.

Ok.

> But that's not the problem.

Seems to me that it is.

> 1. "DHCP Request" is sent out from "eth0.0" of a Linux box. It's a
> VLAN tagged packet with VID set to 0.

Fine so far.

> 2. "DHCP Offer" is sent back from the switch and received by Linux.
> It's a regular Ethernet packet without any VLAN tag.

So this is the problem. And there is nothing Linux can do about this.

I would investigate if the switch that you are using can indeed be
used the way you want.

//Peter