Re: configuring VLAN in Linux 2.4.25

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply. I have configured the VLAN.
For now by typing ifconfig I see eth0.4 and eth0.5 interfaces I have created. I do a ping from my Windows PC to Linux board's eth0.4 and eth0.5 IP's. I am getting the ping responces but I don't see the Rx/Tx statistics changes for both interfaces. In my configuration the eth0, eth0.4 and eth0.5 interfaces have the same MAC addresses. Somewhere in inet I have read that I should bind  MAC addresses for each VLAN to receive/transmit frames on that interfaces. So as I understood I have to install macvlan_config application too. By trying to make the macvlan_config application In my Linux it gives error because there is no if_macvlan.h file in /include/linux directory. Could you help me please on this matter?
I will be very appreciate if you'll send me the if_macvlan.h file I couldn't find in inet.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Arthur.

Alex Zeffertt <ajz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Arthur,

The message means that the vlan module has been inserted into your kernel.
This has no effect until the vconfig tool is used to create vlan devices.

See "man vconfig" for how this works.

But before you start manually creating vlan devices its worth checking if
you have a distro that will do it all for you.

For example in redhat/fedora you can edit
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.10" in the same way you edit
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0". The ifup/ifdown scripts will
parse the filename, and infer from it that they need to use vconfig to create/delete
a vlan device which sends vlan frames with VID 10 over eth0.

In debian/ubuntu you just install the "vlan" package with "apt-get install vlan".
Then you can create stanzas in "/etc/network/interfaces" for eth0.10 in exactly
the same way you create stanzas for eth0. The "/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/vlan"
and "/etc/network/if-post-down.d/vlan" scripts parse the device name and figure out
what they need to do.

Easy!

Alex

Arthur Khachatryan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am newbie. Could somebody help me please how to configure the VLAN in
> Linux 2.4.25 kernel. I see the message "802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben
> Greear >" while
> linux is downloading. Then I see the following by typing cat for the VLAN:
>
> ~ # cat proc/net/vlan/config
> vlan_proc_get_vlan_info: cnt == 25
> VLAN Dev name | VLAN ID
> Name-Type: VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
> vlan_proc_get_vlan_info: cnt == 25
> ~ #
>
> So I need to setup the VLAN for my downloaded Linux. I don't know how to do.
> Help me please by email. It would be highly appreciated.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Arthur.

Cambridge Broadband Networks selected as Preferred Backhaul Infrastructure Supplier for MTN Group

MTN chooses Cambridge Broadband Networks for multi-service wireless network in Rwanda

Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited

Registered in England and Wales under company number: 03879840
Registered office: Selwyn House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 0WZ, UK.
VAT number: GB 741 0186 64

This email and any attachments are private and confidential. If you believe you have received this email in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the individual sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited.