[VLAN] vlans & kubuntu

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 02:41:51PM -0700, Anthony Benjammin DeNardo III wrote:
> is anyone successfully using vlans with kubuntu (a Debian derivative)?
> I have one NIC (Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b) in my kubuntu box, eth1 and
> eth1.182 (vlan 182) both up, and for the life of me I can't get anything
> to go out the eth1.182 interface.

Not even a ping?

> I've isolated my environment to the kubuntu box (server), an HP 2524
> switch, and my laptop.  there are 2 vlans on the switch.  port 1 has
> vlan 201 untagged, and 182 tagged.

I would suggest having all VLANs tagged on the trunk, for testing,
but..

> port 2 has 201 untagged, and port 3 has 182 untagged.  the server
> is multicasting, and there are no configurations, settings, etc...
> that will allow me to receive the multicast when plugged into
> switch port 3.  there is nothing else plugged into the switch.
> whether my laptop is addressed as 201 or 182, it always receives
> the multicast when plugged into port 2.

..this is a very clear indication that the switch is not doing what
you want.

Please double-check the switch config and then test using only simple
pings. When ping is working properly everywhere, then move on to the
multicast.

Please use different IP networks on the different VLANs, if only for
testing purposes.

Please remove any default routes on the clients while testing.

You should only be able to ping "within the network" with a setup
like that; ie. only reach the server on the respective eth1.x
address when only on one VLAN.

> I'm about to try another OS, unless someone can confirm for me that
> this has worked for them.  any suggestions appreciated :-)

I haven't done multicasting over VLANs but many other VLAN setups.

I don't think multicasting is special as long as you don't want to do
routing.

Try unicast traffic first, if that doesn't work there are other
problems to solve before trying multicast traffic. :)

//Peter