-----Original Message-----
From: vlan-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:vlan-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Anthony Benjammin DeNardo III
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 12:20 PM
To: vlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [VLAN] multicast issues

I have a linux box (kernel=2.6.15-27-386, hostname=encoder) with several

Hauppauge encoders.  it has an Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 NIC.  when a
client on the same subnet (not only the same subnet, but physically
connected to the same switch) as encoder requests a multicast generated
by encoder, all works fine.

however, when I add a vlan to encoder:

vconfig add eth0 182

ifconfig -a indicates that eth0.182 has been created.  then, if a client

on the 182 subnet (vlan 182 trunked through the same switch as before)
requests the multicast, it cannot receive it.  I sniffed the traffic,
and there are no IGMP messages being sent out the 182 interface of the
encoder.

then, I assigned an IP address to the eth0.182 interface.  repeated the
multicast, and the client still could not receive it.  there was still
no IGMP traffic on the 182 interface.  this means that the IGMP join
request generated by the client was never received by the eth0.182
interface on the encoder.

how do I get IGMP to work on my vlan interface?

| Anthony Ben'jammin' DeNardo III                       |
| Network Multimedia Architect                          |
| Academic Computing & Networking Services              |
| Colorado State University                             |
| 970-297-3710                                          |
| ad3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                     |