[VLAN] Routing traffic between identical IP addrs on different vlan's?

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 07:45:53PM -0700, EKC wrote:
> I have two servers with different ipv4 addresses on an
> 802.1Q-capable ethernet switch.
>
> Each server is running a VMware virtual machine running an apache
> web server. However, both of the virtual machines have the same ip
> address. Changing the ip addresses is not an option.
>
> I want server A to be able to choose whether to make HTTP requests to
> the virtual machine on server B or the virtual machine on server A.
> Likewise, I want server B to be able to make HTTP requests to
> whichever virtual machine it chooses. And, I want both server A and
> server B to still be able to communicate with each other (ssh traffic,
> rsync trafffic, etc...)

I'm calling your physical machines sA and sB (server A/B) and your
virtual machines vA and vB.

sA and sB have different IP addresses so they can communicate with
eachother without any problems.

You want vA and vB to both use the same IPv4 address but you still
want to be able to differentiate between them using only IPv4
addressing, is that correct?

Unfortunately it can not succeed, since there is no way of knowing
which of vA and vB is really refered to when the shared IP address is
used.

This is not a straightforward setup. I assume you're doing some kind
of HA system. Perhaps you should have a look at ha-forum.org?

If my description above is incorrect and you in fact have some way
besides IPv4 to differentiate between vA and vB then there's
certainly a solution to be found, and VLANs are likely part of it.

> However, how do I get the physical servers to selectively route
> traffic to two identical ip addresses on different VLAN's?

What is the selection process?

//Peter