[VLAN] question about setup 1b

Hi Carlos!

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:35:38PM -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> I was looking at setup 1b at
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=105098558615614
>
> and have a question. How is the router told that packets to machine
> B must have tag 2, those to machine C must have tag 3, etc.?

C is actually on VLAN 2 along with B, but I understand what you mean.

> Shouldn't there be a routing table somewhere?

No, because there's only one IP network behind the router.

All of the VLAN interfaces are added to the br0 bridge, and access
control is set up via iptables and ebtables.

The Linux bridging code works just like a regular L2 switch. (In
fact, L2 switches are precisely that: ethernet bridges.) To begin
with, it will broadcast packets but after some traffic has passed
in both directions it learns which machine is connected to which
port (VLAN interface) and after that it only sends traffic to
client box D on eth1.3, client box E on eth1.4 and so on.

//Peter