[VLAN] Issue with Vlans and bridges

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 03:12:14PM +0100, Linux wrote:
> If I run tcpdump on eth0.40 I only see the packets in one direction
> but never see the return packets.

In which direction do you see packets?

> Has anyone seen this before or does anyone know what could be at
> fault?

Assuming you have verified the two links individually first I think
only firewall rules could cause a problem.

If you haven't verified both links then maybe you're seeing the
oversize packets problem. This happens with some NIC drivers in the
kernel that do not accept packets larger than the maximum specified
by the ethernet network (and that is usually the default in the NIC)
- with 4 VLAN bytes added by the switch fullsize ethernet packets
will be oversize when arriving to the card.

Which card and driver are you using? I have great experience from
e100/e1000 cards, they do not have this issue.

Please don't send confidential email to public mailing lists.

//Peter