[VLAN] Multi-vlan on linux

lau den 29.04.2006 klokka 18:56 (+0200) skreiv Peter Stuge:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 06:35:39PM +0200, Roy-Magne Mo wrote:
> > fr den 28.04.2006 klokka 17:18 (-0300) skreiv Lucas Diaz:
> > > That's why I want to create a "multi-vlan interface".
> >
> > This is a feature that has to be handled by the switch.
>
> The switch absolutely has to be configured so that the port where
> Linux is connected is a member of all relevant VLANs if the Linux
> VLAN support is to be involved.

You don't need vlan on the linux server to achieve this, private vlan is
not different vlan tags on the switch - but usually just separate
forwarding databases. This way the traffic is always forwarded
"upstream" to the linux server and never directly between each member of
the vlan.

> > This could possibly be achieved with EBtables, but I haven't tried
> > that.
>
> Depending on the addressing plan that could get really messy really
> quickly, especially if the application has no knowledge about the
> network and lots of translation is required.

You don't need any translation, what I ment had to be implemented with
ebtables is the arp behaviour - probably not needed here.

This is the way many DSLAM and switches in provider and campus settings
work.

--
Roy-Magne Mo <rmo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>