[VLAN] Bridging and 802.1q - no fly?

Hello,

    So it seems to me that using 802.1q as an end station or router
connected to 802.1q trunk ports is totally fine and I've used it for
years and years now that way. Recently however I have begun to
experament with bridging 802.1q ports together and I've had a lot less
sucess than I thought I would.

    The specfic issues were when trying to run linux bridge code across
linux 802.1q interfaces. In the first scenario, if I bridged two eth
ports together and then added them to a bridge group, the STP
announcements appeared to be misaligned in the frame by 4 bytes (the mac
addresses of captured packets had unrecognisable garbage in the first
four, then the begining of the correct address in the remainder). In the
second scenario, if I create a vlan device (say vlan10) on two linux
boxes and then add these interfaces to a bridge group, again, stp seems
to malfunction - because it's not apparently getting tagged by 1q.

    Yes I have some patches in place like ebtables and bridge-nf and I'm
aware there can be unfortunate interactions here. What I'd like to know
however, is bridging the 1q interfaces considered legit and has another
ever done this sucessfully? If so, what was your configuration?

Mike-