[VLAN] dropping of un-matched tagged packets?

> >> The easiest way is probably to hack the NIC's driver instead of
> >> the VLAN code.  The driver has a flag that says whether it supports
> >> HW accell or not..just need to disable that flag, probably.
> >>
> >> The e1000 driver writers hang out on the netdev mailing list,
> >> could ask there.
> >
> > It should be easy enough to do, just change the following in
> > e1000_main.c:
> >
> > [...]
>
> I've located where to patch in the kernel sources and I'll test it as
soon
> as I can. However, given that I'm not used to patch kernel modules :)
> would like to know what is the best way to proceed. Just change the
> e1000_main.c, make + make modules_install in the kernel root, depmod
and
> modprobe e1000 again? Another different way?

That's what I'd be doing, except rmmod e1000 first (but you probably
knew that :). Are you modifying a kernel you've compiled yourself or a
pre-compiled kernel?

For the pre-compiled kernel package under Debian (and probably any other
dist) it should be possible to just get the kernel headers for your
version, then from the kernel tree just cut out the module and any other
code and make a separate kbuild tree for just that module. If none of
this paragraph makes any sense then just do it the first way :)

Good luck!

James