[VLAN] dropping of un-matched tagged packets?

> Well, it's a bit more complicated... The idea is to bridge the
physical
> interface (eth2) with some tun devices (for example, tun0, tun1, etc.)
> that
> are connected to interfaces inside a virtual machine running in the
host
> (using User Mode Linux, http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/, maybe
you
> know about it) (tun0 to eth0 in virtual machine, tun1 to eth1 in
virtual
> machine, etc.) and to create the VLANs inside the virtual machine
> (eth0.200
> in the virtual machine, eth1.300 in the virtual methince, etc.) not in
the
> bridge itself. Therefore, the bridge would have to switch trunk
traffic
> transparently, so this traffic reach the virtual machine and the
virtual
> machine kernel vlan interface can deal with the tagged packet (and
deliver
> it untagged to eth0.200, eth1.300 or whatever).

If that's all you need to do, then you should be able to bridge the
physical interface to the tun interfaces without having to worry about
vlans in the physical machine... hmmm... but maybe mtu might be a
problem.

I do almost exactly the same thing with xen (proper virtualisation, you
should try it some time :)

> > Unfortunately, once you turn on vlanning on the physical e1000
> > interface, the hardware acceleration will come into play and you
won't
> > see the ones you aren't subscribing to anyway.
> >
> > Assuming there isn't already a way and I just can't see it, in order
> > work around the above problem you'd need to:
> > . patch the vlan kernel module to optionally not use hw acceleration
> > even if it is available, via a parameter to one of the ioctls
> > . patch the vconfig code to add a command line option to make use of
the
> > above option
> >
> > Ben would be the best one to comment on how useful the above might
be. I
> > could probably put a patch together, but you'd have to test it :)
>
> Of course, I will do! :)
>
> Although I know I'm trying a weird UML/VLAN/bridge application :), I
think
> such patch could be useful in general, due to it would increase the
> flexibility of the VLAN support for people using cards with hw
> acceleration, like me.

Seriously, just try bridging the interfaces without vlanning anything in
the physical machine. If that doesn't work, post back here and we'll
talk :)

James