[VLAN] runt frames reported on cisco switch

James Harper wrote:
>>James Harper wrote:
>>
>>>(sorry if I double posted... I only just re-joined the list and it
>>>simultaneously rejected this posting and replied with the [VLAN] in
>
> the
>
>>>subject indicating it sent it to the list)
>>>
>>>I am getting many (>10%) runt frames on a cisco switch on the port
>
> that
>
>>>is connected to a linux router running with vlans. Despite the
>
> reported
>
>>>errors, there are no observed problems with the network.
>>
>>I think this is an old cisco bug.
>

> Not sure I agree with you there... two other machines trunking vlans
> plugged into the same switch don't have the same problems. The only
> difference there is that they are using e100 cards, not via-rhine
>

>>W/regard to the 60 v/s 64 minimum pkt size, the bytes on the wire are
>
> 64,
>
>>but that is because the NIC will add a 4 byte CRC to the end of the
>>60-byte payload.
>

> 60 bytes is the #define in if_ether.h, and yes it states that it is
> 'sans FCS', so when it says 60 it really means 64.
>
> What I was getting at though, is that a normal Ethernet minimum frame
> size is 64 (60 + FCS). Should the minimum frame size be incremented by 4
> when there are vlan headers present?

The 60/64 limit is a low-level ethernet thing, and VLANs really shouldn't
matter at that level.  I think the cisco bug is that it does
think you need +4 for the minimum size for VLAN packets.

Back (oh, 7 years ago??) when I read the VLAN spec, I don't
remember any requirement to bump the minimum packet size.

> Something is different about frames sent by the e100 vs the via-rhine,
> to verify what I'm thinking, is there a way to check? (can tcpdump tell
> me what I want to know, or is the padding invisible to that layer?)

You could certainly try tcpdump or tethereal...I'm not sure whether
it will show the padding or not...

Ben