[VLAN] NEWBIE: RH Linux and ProCurve VLAN Setup

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, George Ross wrote:

>> Some HP procurves only support 30 VLANS tagged from 0-30. Silly but true.
>
> Not quite true.  Some switches limit you to 30 VLANs, but anything vaguely
> recent will allow the full range of tags to be used.

Such switches are typically limited only as to what you can assign on the
switch itself, i.e. what number or VLAN you can assign to particular port
and this limit is forced in the software image just so that customers buy
different model of the switch if you need more VLANs.

But if the switch is used just for transmitting data in larger network
and is 802.1Q capable, it'd transit data for a lot more VLANs through
the trunk ports.

> Note, btw, that some have one forwarding table per switch while others
> have separate ones for each VLAN.

Newer designs have forwarding table where target is listed as not just
MAC but VLAN+MAC and that is what is used for building hash table and
so lookups are quite fast. Having multiple forwarding tables is in fact
not a feature that ads any significant value.

> The old version of the wireless access point firmware did have some odd
> VLAN restrictions, so we didn't ever use them there.  The latest firmware
> does things sanely.

Its also common for <$100 priced consumer wlan router to support only
/24 net for local lan. This is similarly well known as forced limit for
purposes of having businesses buy "access point router". This is absurd
as it makes a notion that such residential-use targeted wlan router is
not AP where is the difference is purely in the limitations placed in the
software image and hardware is most often the same for what is sold at
significantly higher price as "wireless access point".

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks