[VLAN] NEWBIE: RH Linux and ProCurve VLAN Setup

Hello Eric:

Some HP procurves only support 30 VLANS tagged from 0-30. Silly but true. We
have a procurve that is like that. So when you setting up your Vlan
interfaces you will need to keep the VLAN tag number below that.

So you would do something like this
vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD (The first line setup the nameing
convetion)
vconfig add eth1 6    				 (or eth0) and choose vlans
from 1-30
ifconfig vlan6 10.xx.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Then reference the interface in iptables using
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD  -i vlan6 -p tcp -s 10.xx.6.1/24 --dport 135 -j DROP

Then when assigning vlanID's to the Procuve the number must line up with the
vconfig settings.

Duane
duanemulder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx