[VLAN] vlan tagging in 2.6.10

I'm using a setup with a Linux box talking to a Netgear switch through
an 802.1q trunk. The switch is used to 'fan out' the vlans on the trunk
to ports on a network device. This is used to test various functionality
on the device, and while testing packet filtering I ran into a problem.

After some investigation I noticed the outgoing packets, generated by a
custom program, were not being tagged correctly. Incoming traffic seems
to be interpreted correctly, however.

I first noticed it with layer 2 broadcast frames, but it seems to affect
uni- and multicasts as well. Using tcpdump on the main interface and the
vlan subinterface reveals that the outgoing broadcast is heard on both
of them (while incoming replies are heard only on the subinterface),
sans vlan tag.

I also connected up a computer external to the setup via port mirroring,
to verify what was actually going out on the wire. tcpdump on that box
reported "vlan #0" on the outgoing frames, but correct vlan tags on the
returning frames.

The linux box with the trunk port reports this from uname -a:
Linux auto3 2.6.10 #2 SMP Mon Jan 31 12:11:19 CET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Has anyone got any idea what might be causing this problem? What can I
do to remedy it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Niklas Karlsson