[VLAN] Bridging + VLAN on untagged interface

I'm having a problem with Bridging + VLAN and think maybe it's a bug, or
at least a missing feature...

I'm running xen (virtual machine) and am using bridging in the driver
domain (think 'host' under vmware) to give network access to the other
domains (think 'guest' under vmware).

The host domain has the following network interfaces:
eth0 (connected to 'internal' network, for san and host communications)
eth1 (connected to 'internal' network, but no ip address, only to give
guests network access to 'internal' network)
eth1.2 (connected to 'external' network)
eth1.4 (connected to 'client1' network)

And the following bridges
br0 (eth1 + any guest virtual interfaces requiring access to the
'internal' network)
br1 (eth1.2 + any guest virtual interfaces requiring access to the
'external' network)

It only works if eth1 isn't added to any bridge interface. As soon as
eth1 is added to br0, no traffic is seen on eth1.2, almost like the
bridge is 'taking' all the traffic from eth1, including tagged traffic
before the vlan driver sees it.

The above could be considered correct behaviour, except it breaks my
setup. Assuming I'm right about the cause, what I need is a dummy
interface like eth1.U which would 'see' all the untagged (eg vlan1)
traffic, and I could then attach that to the bridge.

Another idea I have is to set it up as follows:

br0 contains eth1 + virtual 'internal' network guest interfaces
br1 contains br0.1 + virtual 'external' network guest interfaces

but i'm almost afraid to try it as it looks real ugly and I don't know
if a vlan is supported on a bridged interface, and I don't want to crash
the machine.

Any and all comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

James

PS. Before I knew anything about bridging, I tried a 'vconfig eth1.0',
which rendered the port on the cisco router inoperable until a router
reset. Cisco bug I assume...