[VLAN] Updated VLAN, MAC-VLAN & other networking goodies patch.

Justin Cormack wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 22:17 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>

>>I've updated my kernel patch to 2.4.29 and 2.6.11.  The latest patches also
>>introduce the re-direct virtual device (rdd).  The rdd devices can be
>>used in pairs
>>and act like two ethernet ports looped together with a cross-over
>>ethernet cable.
>>

>There must be a use to this that I cant think of. What is it? Isnt it
>just a bridge?

I have a software bridge that can fit between any two interfaces that
have no
IP address.  If I make a pair of rdd interfaces (rdd0, rdd1), and give
an IP to rdd1,
and then bridge eth0 to rdd0, then my bridge works as normal, but the
packets end
up on rdd1, which has an IP.

For me, this means I can bridge with my custom bridge, and route at the
same time.  And, I can use standard packet sockets in user space and
net_device API in the kernel.  This last part is of critical importance
to me as
my kernel module is closed source.

The rdd can also be useful for prototyping my application on a machine
with few
real network interfaces.

I am not sure anyone else needs such a thing, but it definately solves
one of my
problems :)

Ben