[VLAN] Vlan on Sun Solaris and else

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 04:26:23PM +0200, lctt77-news@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new in vlan 802.1q and I really need your help.
>
> 1)
> Id like to know how to active vlan 802.1q on SUN Solaris 8 and 9 ?
> And where to find the patch ?

Sorry, I have no idea, this list is about the Linux implementation.

> 2)
> I use also Red Hat 7.2 kernel 2.4.26, the module 8021q is already
> installed, and < modprobe 8021q > works well.
> But should I compile a new vconfig for my kernel or can I use the
> vconfig in the file < vlan.1.8.tar.gz > found on the web or this
> file http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear/vconfig? What is the best choice
> ?

Use the version that matches your kernel the best. I think vconfig
from vlan.1.8.tar.gz goes well with 2.4.26, but on the other hand it
doesn't really matter much, any version of vconfig that works for you
is fine. The interface between kernel and userspace hasn't changed
all that much so even old versions of vconfig work properly.

> And where should I copy the file vconfig ? In /sbin/ ,
> /usr/local/sbin/ or /usr/local/bin/ ?

That's just a matter of preference, standardization or possibly
distribution practise.

> 3)
> I have create two vlans : it works well
> vconfig add eth0 2
> vconfig add eth0 3
> but when I reboot the vlans disappear. So how can I do to make it
> permanent after the reboot ?

That's distribution-specific.

> I have heard that we can modify or patch some files for vlan 8021q
> like :
> /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifup
> /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifdown
> /etc/init.d/network
> Is there some patch for that ?

Dunno, but I seem to remember people posting to this list with
answers on how to do it neatly in RedHat.

> On a Debian server, I have tried to do this an dit work well :
> < auto eth0.2
>   iface eth0.2 inet static
>   address 192.168.1.1
>   netmask 255.255.255.0
>   pre-up /usr/local/sbin/vconfig add eth0 2 >
> What is the best practice ?

It depends on the distribution. I've seen a couple of different ways
but they all fit into the distribution's normal method of configuring
network interfaces.

> 4)
> I want to change the IP address, and want to use trunk 802.1q to
> help me doing that by creating two vlans per server and per NIC, do
> you know if the applications like apache, mysql, dns server,
> postfix server, etc
> will accept and work with two IP addresses per server in their
> config files ?

Most server software can be configured to listen on the INADDR_ANY
address, which means "all configured interfaces" including VLANs. If
you want different server behavior depending on the incoming
destination address you'll have to make sure there's special support
for that in the servers however, but I know that at least Apache
handles IP-based virtual hosts without problems.

> If anyone has already changed Ip address by using 802.1q, I will be
> happy to accept your advices.

I guess that's not so different from migrating IP adresses without
VLANs, just more handy since you can easily keep the system working
on the old address(es).

>  5)
> I have a broadcom card, should I use the driver tg3 or bcm5700
> (version 7.3.5) for trunk 8021q ? Does it need to patch ?

I remember several posts to the mailing list saying that a Broadcom
driver worked out of the box. I think it was the bcm driver, but I'm
not sure. Check the archives.

> Thanks you very much for your help,

You're welcome.

//Peter