[VLAN] disable tag stripping on Intel Hello, I'd like to disable 802.1q tag stripping on my linux 2.6 box so that I can see the tagged packets on the physical device, e.g. eth0, while seeing the stripped version on the vlan device, e.g. eth0.10. I've done s

Hello,

I'd like to disable 802.1q tag stripping on my linux 2.6 box so that I
can see the tagged packets on the physical device, e.g. eth0, while
seeing the stripped version on the vlan device, e.g. eth0.10.  I first
tested to see if this behavior was present.  Unfortunately, it was
not.

I've done some poking around on the net and have found tidbits here
and there discussion the issue.  Most comments seemed to state that I
would most likely find different behavior on different operating
systems and among different NICs.

I have an Intel 82546EB NIC (e1000) which supports tagged vlans in
hardware and have checked out the Intel website and kernel driver for
more info.  It seems that they have a driver for disabling tag
stripping for windows.  I found no such solution for linux.  While
looking through the driver, I saw where the capability was turned on,
but wasn't sure if there was a general mechanism for disabling it,
e.g. vconfig didn't seem to have any such options.

Do you have any comments/suggestions/pointers to where I should go
from here.  If it comes down to it, I may end up modifying a driver,
etc.

Thanks,
Joe