[VLAN] Mapping roaming MAC addresses to .1q vlans.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Hamid Hashemi Golpayegani wrote:

> I knew that in the cisco switches can use VPMS to assign VLAN Numbers to the
> port while the link coming up .
> Here is what cisco says about VMPS :
>
> " With the VMPS, you can dynamically assign switch ports to VLANs based on
> the source Media Access Control (MAC) address of the device connected to the
> port "
>
> You have to put your switch ports in Dynamic mode and configure your switch
> to assign the VLAN from the VMPS and also configure the VMPS . Then you can
> be sure that every MAC want to connect to your switches will be member of an
> specific VLAN.
> You can read more about VMPS and how to configure it from here :
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f5a19.html
>
> This link is for Catalyst 4500 Series, but you can find similar for any kind
> of cisco switches which support VMPS.

Isn't VMPS considered obsolete (even by Cisco)?  I don't think any current
systems can run as VMPS servers, and the protocol is (of course) entirely
based on trusting the mac address of the client...

These days Cisco seem to expect people to use dot1x which (with their
proprietory extentions) can be used to drop a client into a particular
vlan.  Of course dot1x does require client support.

 -- Jon