[VLAN] VLANs, Cisco Catalyst 5500 (CatOS) and a Realtek 8100 series

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 08:46:47PM -0800, Derek Fedel wrote:
> The NIC connected to the switch is a Realtek 8100 series that I
> believe should support the extra MTU size (8139too driver)

It will, but I would suggest getting an Intel card instead, they
don't cost a lot and are higher quality cards. Use the e100 or e1000
driver in the kernel though, not the old eepro100 driver.

> Its odd, I set up the vlans I want on the switch, set up the
> trunking on the port that the firewall is connected to, and vconfig
> the vlans to the interface on the firewall, but once I bring the
> vlan'd interface up, it will transmit packets, but not actually
> receive anything except for what tcpdump identifies as "Unknown IPX
> packets". hooray. Anyone have any ideas? I'll be glad to supply
> more information if need be. I suspect an MTU issue, but I'm not
> too sure.

Is trunking specifically set to use dot1q? If not, I believe Cisco
prefers their own trunking protocol ISL, which is incompatible with
802.1Q.

//Peter