[VLAN] Vlan issues

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 04:10:53PM -0500, warrier@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Peter
>      I'm sorry for my sarcastic mail.

No problem.

> I hadn't really noticed what was tagged on to the mail.  I'm forced
> to use Lotus notes and I haven't found my way round it yet. Another
> reason why the lack of indentation etc ....... exists.

Ah. Check out
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/misc/notespotting.pdf

> Thanks for your comments. They explain the problems I was seeing
> coupled with the hardware I am working on.

Great! :)

[..]

> Now just one more question. You mentioned in your last bit that the
> packet without a VLAN tag would arrive at  ethx interface on which
> the VLANs ehtx.2 , ethx.3 etc were configured.  Are you saying that
> if ethx itself had a ip address configured for it and the packet
> was destined for that address it would be accepted?

Exactly. This is untagged traffic coming in on the port, so it'll end
up at ethx. Is frequently used for an administrative VLAN. Cisco uses
VID 1 for this purpose. (Ie. all traffic in VLAN 1 is sent untagged
on Cisco 802.1q trunks, unless you change the default vlan to some
other number. (In the switch(es).)

>   I was under the impression that one always had to do "ifconfig ethx
> 0.0.0.0"

Nope, the only thing that is neccessary is to bring the ethx
interface up, setting the address 0.0.0.0 equals removing any
previously set address and as such I guess it's used as a kind of
"address reset" for the interface. It will also bring the interface
up.

I would suggest switching to the ip utility instead of ifconfig, it's
part of the iproute2 package and allows better control of the IP
stack in Linux.

# remove all addresses on eth0
ip addr flush dev eth0

# bring eth0 up
ip link set dev eth0 up

# shorthand for link set; bring eth0 down
ip l s dev eth0 down

# add given IP/net to the eth0 address list
ip a a 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth0

//Peter