[VLAN] Vlan issues

Hello
     I'm working on the Linux kernel 2.4.25. I've not added any vlan
patches, all I have is the vlan code that came with the kernel. I'm
working on a PowerPC 8270 using one of the FCC's as an ethernet
controller.
    This FCC is connected via MII to an vlan chipset that is capable of
supporting 10 ports.
   I have two seperate networks connected to two of the ports. All traffic
from these ports are sent to the FCC of the 8270 using internal chip
configurations.  The 8270 just accepts them as traffic coming from one
connection.

    I have configured two VLAN interfaces on the 8270 to deal with network
traffic coming from both the networks.

    Let us say the two network addresses are x.y.z.a and the other one is
p.q.r.s .

I have noticed that when I bring both of these vlan interfaces up the one
the comes up first works. The second one does not. Using ethereal and arp
I have managed to see that both the networks can send and receive arps but
when I dump the arp addresses on the 8270 board the arp addresses seem to
be always tied to the interface that was enabled first.

Has anybody seen such a problem? Is there a solution to this. Is this a
vlan issue?