Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:47:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Iain McBride <imcbride@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: vlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [VLAN] e100 VLAN and MTU issues

Hello!

While everything I can find online regarding the e100 driver in 2.6
kernels not needing a patch to avoid MTU issues with VLAN tagging, I've
been unsuccessful in getting VLAN-tagged connections to function properly.

VLAN router: 2x e100 NICs, 2.6.8.1 Linux kernel, VLANs config'd

Switch:      Cisco 2924, trunk enabled on the VLAN router's port, end
		machine's port assigned to proper VLAN

End machine: e100 NIC, 2.6.8.1 Linux kernel, normal interface config

When I take another machine and put its switch port into a VLAN, I
experience the strange behaviour typical of MTU issues unless I configure
the end machine with an MTU of around 1468 or smaller.  Large file
transfers time out, packets silently dropped can't ping with 1500 byte
packet payload, etc.

If I remove the VLAN trunking and bring up the router interface in the
normal fashion, everything is fine.

Any hints on further troubleshooting?

Thanks!
Iain