[VLAN] vlan & osi-model

Vishwas Manral wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I am not very aware of the Linux implementation
> you have but am eager to find out (or even help enhance). I have seen
> one other Linux implementation of a VLAN in the past.
>
> I have a few points to ask: -
>

>>Bridging between MAC-VLAN interfaces does not make sense to me, so I
>
> think
>
>>this probably doesn't work in any useful manner.
>
> 1. I am not sure of how the implementation is but Mac-Based VLAN should
> only be used to resolve a VLAN based on source Mac-Address when the
> packet comes in untagged. Once the VLAN is resolved the bridging
> functionality is done the same way as for any other VLAN bridging send
> packet only on port that is part of the VLAN.

Bridging and VLANs are separate projects, and work independently of each
other.  I don't know if the bridging code would properly handle MAC
vlans, as I've never tried it, and I doubt that they have either since
the patch is not in the kernel proper.

Also, my code allows MAC-VLANs to run on top of 802.1Q vlans as well
as normal un-tagged ports :)

> Mac-Based VLAN is necessary in conditions where client can roam and
> hence the port on which the packet from a client arrives is not fixed.
> We can have a Mac-Based VLAN database for the same, and in this
> condition a Mac-based VLAN is necessary.

User-space could manage this by moving the MAC-VLANs and/or changing
the bridging setup as needed.  My personal needs do not involve this
type of use, but I'll accept patches if they help out such a project
(and do not degrade other performance/use).

> 2.
>
>>The Linux MAC-VLAN stuff is not in the official kernel, but I have
>>done fairly extensive testing on the mode that matches on the
>>destination MAC.
>
> I am not sure of what you mean by Mac-destination based VLAN? Do you in
> case the packet is a multicast or a broadcast packet send the packet to
> all the addresses on the VLAN?

I do not encase it at all, it is purely a local classification.  Machines
outside of the Linux box cannot tell whether or not I'm using MAC-VLANs.
I use this to emulate loads of virtual interfaces with a single machine,
primarily for my LANforge traffic generation testing tools.

If you filter on the source MAC, you can have some very limitted
security, and can make more interesting firewall/routing decisions
easily.  But, you must be aware that it is trivial to change one's
MAC address, so do not use this for any serious type of security.

> 3.
>
>>Port-based VLANs mean nothing unless you are bridging, and Linux
>>already supports bridging regular ethernet interfaces and 802.1Q
>
> VLANs,
>
>>so this is supported as well.
>
> Could you explain this further, I am a bit confused?

Try searching the bridging HOWTOs, I think they will have info
that will help you understand better.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>