From: vlan-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:vlan-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Ben Greear
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 8:18 PM
To: Linux 802.1Q VLAN
Subject: Re: [VLAN] About VLAN implementation

Csaba P?csai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new at VLAN so please be patient!:)
> A*s far as I understood the concept of the VLAN it is useful for
separating
> different LANS from each other improving the security.
>
> I tried a really easy use of VLAN package and I was not able to get it
work
> as I desired.
> 	VLAN2		eth3		eth2       		VLAN3
> PC A  ---------------------------------------->  PC
> B ----------------------------------> PC C
>
> All of them are Linux boxes. At PC B there is IP forwarding switched on.
> So I configured  at PCB eth2.3 interface and eth3.2 interface with class C
> addresses and different subnets.
> The eth3 and eth2 interfaces at PC B are up with 0.0.0.0 ip address.
> The PC A and PC C interfaces are also set to use vlan tags. In this case
PC
> A eth1.2 PC C is eth1.3.
>
> If I try to ping from PCA the PC C than I can do that!!! How can it be?!
Why
> should I use iptables to DROP those packages?! It think VLAN should do
this
> by itself?!
> How can I do that that there is a subnet instead of PC A and all the VLAN3
> tagged package goes to PC C but nothing from another VLAN?!

Didn't you just configured a router?  I think your VLAN PC is routing
between the two VLANs, which is perfectly normal.  Or, maybe I
mis-understand
your setup.

> Another question about VLAN over MAC address. Is that already in use?!
> Shouldn't be there a table which tells which MAC address is associated
with
> which VLAN ?!
> How can I filter out the wrong packages not to send to wrong VLAN based on
> MAC address?

MAC-VLANs have nothing to do with 802.1Q VLANs, it is just another type
of VLANs.  I use them mostly for emulating lots of network devices in a
single
machine.

Ben

> Thank you in advice.