Re: Completely newbie, need help configuring network

The 2nd link is pretty interesting if your HW/OS supports VF and it does contain the note about making MacVTap work. If you're concerned about the risk warning you can get it via web archives here (though it may take a while to load) : https://web.archive.org/web/20201109025659/https://www.linuxsecrets.com/3417-creating-kvm-virtual-passthrough

NB. virt-manager is only a gui/tool for managing VMs under  qemu/kvm (linux host as a type 1 hypervisor effectively) whereas VirtualBox is a type 2 hypervisor (running under the host) and gui in one .. so most of your issues with virtualisation are going to be qemu/kvm related rather than virt-manager related. You do get near native performance in your VMs with qemu/kvm though. There are other tools for managing your qemu/kvm VMs - see https://www.libvirt.org/index.html