Re: How to automatically install guest drivers inside a Windows VM

Hi Rich!

I haven't heard of virt-v2v before, so it took a bit to learn about it. It's definitely the right direction! You still have to go into Window's Device Manager, and update all the virtio devices after, but that's minor.

I still don't get the qemu-guest-agent through this, so virt-manager's "Auto-resize VM with window" is still disabled. I can get it enabled by going to https://www.spice-space.org/download.html#windows-binaries and downloading "spice-guest-tools" to the VM. I'm guessing this isn't a part of virtio-win then. Any idea how to best automate this step? I guess I can have the exe pre downloaded on the host, then mount it in and run it.

virt-v2v's not changing some of the xml to use virtio (Networking from "e1000e", and Storage from the sata drive), but it is adding a lot of aliases. Is this expected?

Here's the command:
virt-v2v-in-place -ic qemu:///system -i libvirt Windows10-test --root single

I'm doing it in place since I don't want a new VM. I can take a snapshot before (And probably need to save the xml too), and restore back to them if that command fails.

Thanks!
Cameron