Re: virt-install: changing default --os-variant behavior

On 2/17/22 4:28 AM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 04:27:47PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> FYI I've changed the defaults here upstream now. For x86 HVM VMs, we now
>> error if an OS is not specified, or detected from install media
>>
>> https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/commit/26ecf8a5e3e4721488159605afd10e39f68e6382
>
> Is there a specific reason why you're explicitly limiting this to
> x86? I think it would be less confusing if this behavior applied
> consistently to all architectures, even those that (by virtue of
> being introduced more recently) have better defaults.

Generally it matters less, since we hardcode virtio default for non-x86
KVM regardless of OS. Support for those arches in most distros, and in
virt-install, came far after virtio was widely available. Also x86 is
the only case we previously printed a warning for too.

But now that you mention it, we probably should just enable it to be
consistent even if it doesn't have a ton of impact. I'll look at it

Thanks,
Cole

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]