Re: [virt-manager PATCH v4 0/9] Improve translations

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


On 7/13/20 4:58 AM, Pino Toscano wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 July 2020 15:12:24 CEST Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 7/8/20 10:54 AM, Pino Toscano wrote:
>>> This patch series improve the handling of translations.
>>> Use the gettext tools to:
>>> - extract the messages from all the various sources
>>> - merge old translations with the new catalog
>>> - build translations as mo files
>>> - merge translations to desktop, and AppStream files
>>> This makes gettext a mandatory dependency when installing, replacing
>>> intltool.
>>> To make sure the translations are updated in Weblate, commit the
>>> catalog in the repository.
>>> As related (i18n) changes: drop two translations that are totally
>>> empty.
>> Thanks Pino! Pushed now with a tweak to patch 3 to drop now unused
>> fnmatch import.
> Ah, missed that one, thanks for the hotfix.
>> I set up some automation with this. After every push github CI will
>> refresh po/virt-manager.pot in the 'translations' branch and I updated
>> weblate to use that branch. I would appreciate it if you can confirm
>> everything looks sensible from the weblate translator side
> I've seen this separate branch setup already in other projects, and it
> works as long as you remember to periodially merge the translations :)
> The only downside is that checking out master gives no translations.
> One thing I notice is that the branch seems to duplicate commits from
> master, instead of merging from it.
> Also, it could be helpful to commit the updated template only when it
> has actual changes:
> $ diff -u -I 'POT-Creation-Date' old.pot new.pot
> this will ignore changes in lines with the POT-Creation-Date text.
> In practice, this will not show any output if all it changed was the
> creation date of the template. I can try to tweak the action for this.

Any help here is appreciated. Merging sounds like the better idea.
Filtering out the timestamp works for me too, it will take more smarts
in the actions file

To test in your own repo, you need to delete the 'if:' line that limits
it to only run on virt-manager/virt-manager.

> It looks to me the updated template was not merged with the existing
> translations. This is something to do in weblate (see below).
> Do you have admin access to the virt-manager project in weblate? If so,
> please enable the following addons (in [1], select Manage -> Addons):
> - "Update PO files to match POT (msgmerge)": this does what I mentioned
>   above, i.e. update the translations to the template, so string
>   changes are available to translators; recommended settings:
>   - "Keep previous msgids of translated strings": enabled
>     when a string changes, this will keep the old msgid around, so
>     translators can see what changed
>   - "Use fuzzy matching": enabled 
> - "Update LINGUAS file": this updates the po/LINGUAS file when new
>   languages are added; IMHO sadly it does not keep the file sorted,
>   but I personally can live with that (especially if I don't have to
>   update LINGUAS myself)
> I suggest also "Squash Git commits" configured per-author: this way,
> translation updates will be squashed as single commit for each
> translator (who will get then proper git authorship), instead of
> multiple commits per-author after each editing session.
> [1]

Great, thanks for the tips! I enabled those but I also added you as
admin. If you make any tweaks let me know so I can learn.


[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]

  Powered by Linux