Re: virt-manager 2.2.1 does nothing when I click “New Virtual Machine”

On 10/10/19 2:39 PM, Michael wrote:
Hi All,

Newbie with virt-manager, 20+ yrs w/ Linux.

I tried the Debian 9 (stretch) default install (virt-manager 1.4.0-5), but it
wasn’t working [“python 3.4 or later is required, your's is
sys.version_info(major=2, minor=7, micro=13, releaselevel='final',
serial=0)”].

Since virt-manager 2.2.1 was just released,  I compiled it (./setup.py
install), but while it launches without complaint it does nothing when I
click “New Virtual Machine.”

(Way too many copy/pasted notes below for reference.)

The virt-manager.log says:

“python guestfs is not installed”

but both python-guestfs and libguestfs-tools are installed.  It is also saying
a pool 'default' already exists, but there’s nothing in the dir it talks
about.

It also states

“Uncaught exception: Namespace GtkSource not available”

which lead me to these posts [1], but none of the packages listed to install
are found (gtksourceview4, gir1.2-gtksource-4, libgtksourceview-4-0,
libgtksourceview-4-common).  At the bottom of the bug report it seems to
indicate gtksourceview3 is acceptable (which is installed).

At this point I’m a bit lost on what to try next.  Would some kind soul skim
my virt-manager.log and give me a pointer on what’s needed to get
virt-manager to let me create a new VM?

Hmm not sure, I figure installing gir1.2-gtksource-4 should give you what you need, but I don't understand debian's gobject-introspection package naming.

Try installing another graphical python tool that uses gtksource, like meld. See if that works. Maybe it will pull in the magic package you need.

- Cole