Re: virt-install "Validating install media failed"

On Sun, 2019-09-15 at 19:56 +0100, Peter Crowther wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019, 17:36 Henry Cheng, <hbc2048@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (Also, I am doing this on a headless server so using the gui virt-manager isn't an option.)
>
> Assuming your headless server is a UNIX box of some kind, you can
> always install enough of X11 that you can run virt-manager with the
> display on a window on the machine from which you're remoting into the
> server.  Talk to me off-list if you want more details; I routinely run
> virt-manager on our headless servers from my Windows desktop box.

Though the setup you've described will work, if the machine you're
connecting *from* (ie. the client) is also running Linux, then
usually a better alternative is to install virt-manager on said
client and add a remote connection (File -> Add connection) to the
server: this only requires libvirtd to be running on the server, so
you can keep it completely headless and still manage all your guests
graphically. As a bonus, it's usually faster and more responsive,
since you are no longer sending the entire GUI over the wire but
rather just the guest display.