Re: [cockpit SUGGESTION] Dashboard: Suggestion Storage Pools to be moved from Virtual Machines to Storage

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 01:45:01AM +1000, George wrote:
> About Cockpit
> Cockpit is an interactive Linux server admin interface.
> Project website
> Version 188.
> Licensed under: GNU LGPL version 2.1
>

> Hi,
>

> This is my first time posting to this board about Cockpit.
>

> Hoping this email does not get lost, which is highly likely as I do
> not as yet know the correct method for posting.

Hi,

this list is not used by Cockpit developers, they are using github only
where you can create a new "Issue" for new request or use their mailing
list [1].

> How should I post a request/suggestion or ask;
>

> 1) Why is "Storage Pools" located in "Virtual Machines" ?, it seems
> more logical for it to be in "Storage".  If there is no technical or
> logical reason, I would suggest Storage Pools to be moved from Virtual
> Machines to Storage.

As I was partially involved in the "Virtual Machines" development
process I can give you some explanation, but feel free to ask Cockpit
developers directly.

It might seem as a logical place but it's completely different
"Storage". In the "Storage" page you can configure storage for the
whole OS but the "Storage Pools" are only used together with
virtualization and they are managed by libvirt.  Therefore the
separation from OS configuration and keeping all virtualization UI
together.

Pavel

[1] <https://lists.fedorahosted.org/archives/list/cockpit-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/>