Re: RFC: virt-manager UI philosophy draft

On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 18:34 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've drafted a wiki page about virt-manager UI philosophy, for lack of a
> better term, suggestions welcome. The intention here is to provide some
> guidance about what types of things we want to expose in the UI, both to
> devs, potential contributors, and users requesting RFEs.
>
> https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/wiki/WIP-UI-philosophy
>
> I don't think there's much new here, it's just formalized. There's a
> section at the end of the wiki page for previously rejected features as
> well. If people are cool with this document I'll use it to close a bunch
> of upstream bugs as well which will grow that list.

With the caveat that I'm not closely involved with virt-manager
development, the document seems pretty reasonable to me, and does
not seem to clash in any major way with the understanding that I
have gathered by following various design discussions over the
years, so thumbs up overall!

I'd like to point out a single item that I might disagree with,
though:

> ### Intermediate virt user
>
> * Support for non-x86 VM creation: aarch64, armv7l, ppc64, s390x

I'm obviously biased here, since a big part of what I do is caring
about non-x86 architectures :) but I would consider any application
that doesn't have proper multi-architecture support as a core
principle to be inherently flawed, so having to spell this out at
all seems backwards.

Now if you were talking about the ability to create non-x86 guests
on x86 through the use of TCG, then I absolutely agree that it's an
advanced feature mostly interesting to developers. But being able
to create and managing non-x86 KVM guests on a non-x86 host should
be as vital to virt-manager as doing the same on x86.