Re: Fwd: locked out after preseed install

Hi Cole, hi all,

18.04.2016, 14:00, "Cole Robinson" <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 04/15/2016 08:43 PM, Mario Gummies wrote:
>>  Hi Cole, hi all,
>>  could login via ssh from the host without preseeding. Thanks, now I know how
>>  the result, I am after, looks like.
>>  Well, then thinking about it. If my preseeding script seems the culprit:
>>  1) Who should I ask? (guess the d-i, preseeding ppl)
>>  2) My preseeding script to perform actually what? (Is there a requirements
>>  interface standard between virt-install and d-i preseeding for the present use
>>  case? The search for an existing, proper preseeding script gets easier knowing
>>  to name.
>>  3) what not to touch, because is is virt-install's job to setup the network?
>>
>>  4)
>>  Is it what is called by libvirt virtual networking?
>> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/VirtualNetworking#The_default_configuration
>>
>>  5)
>>  from my preseeding script
>>  #in-target /bin/bash /root/postinst.sh #on the guest
>>  One sees that one can trigger shell commands on the host. Is it not possible
>>  to setup the missing network manual/scripted?
>>
>>  Really do not know, what would be best practice here or from here.
>
> The preseeding script is entirely a debian/ubuntu installer convention. There
> is no communication between virt-install and the preseed script. So I suggest
> asking on ubuntu support channels
Hi,
Yes, I am already asking there. Well, virt-install and d-i preseeding might not communicate in a narrower sense, but it is true that the latter produces files which the former makes use of. To have that transaction functioning, the question for a format specification comes up.

Question: Is there such a specification, about how the data transferred to lib-install should look like?

Well, you might say: Just as the unpreseeded install and it might be the truth, but it is hard to understand for me and hard to believe, cause anybody who provides a new install to virt-install then runs into the same problem, preseeded or not.

Question: Is it maybe the case, that there is such "convention" not explicit, but implicit in the code to be read?

Tia