Re: Providing SMBIOS information to the guest

On 01/06/2016 01:40 PM, Charles Arnold wrote:
> libvirt allows specifying detailed SMBIOS info
>
> http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsSysinfo
>
> Would there be interest in accepting a feature enhancment
> where virt-install options allow passing SMBIOS information
> to the guest. This would allow tools such as dmidecode to
> report meaningful information in the guest.

Yes, an option for virt-install would be nice. Ideally virt-install/virt-xml
would allow configuring every domain XML option

> Additionally, some graphical elements could be added to
> virt-manager giving a user friendly interface to SMBIOS
> fields.

Maybe. Can you describe the usecase? How many fields are we talking about?

I think it only makes sense to add to virt-manager if it's really essential
information for some particular usecase. Probably only if it's required at
install time, otherwise we can just point people at using virt-xml on the
command line which is easier to document.

Thanks,
Cole