Re: IPv6 support

On 03/18/2013 05:03 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
OK, my skill with python is somewhere between zero and none but such a handicap has never deterred me before. Therefore, I am going to attempt to add IPv6 support for virtual networks to virt-manager.

1. It appears that the interface code has full IPv6 support so that might provide a guide as to how to do things.

2. If only the network code had used prefixes and stayed away from netmask for IPv4, basic support for IPv6 might have been a simple.

3. The IPy.py module is a bit out-of-date (if that matters) and lacks one or two functions. I will need to add the functionality and/or replace IPy.py with the supported pyton-ipaddr module. There is also an ipaddress module in python3. Using something with support is usually better but it will require changing much more code. For a while, both IPy.py and ipaddr may be in use.

4. My initial goal to to have virt-manager/connections not "die" when an IPv6 address appears in a network definition. That and being able to start, stop, delete, and enable at boot ... creation will be later.

5. Right now, libvirt wants an IPv6 address specified and not an IPv6 network. The address is needed most of the time so that dnsmasq can run as a dns, dhcpv6 and RA server. vm/connections wants a IPv6 network specification ... that is, the prefix applied so that all the "lower" bits are set to zero.

6.  I will be using the gtk3.2 branch for this development.

Comment, suggestions, or whatever ??

OK, some initial reactions/comments ...

1. IPy.py is going to go away and the python-ipaddr will be used in its place.

2. The problem is not IPv6 so much as it is xml. virt-manager is not doing a real good job of scanning the network xml because it only picks up the first <ip> definition.

3. There is also the glade-gui interface and here I could use some advice/direction. There are at least four ways I could do it:

a) Add another section to the vbox and list IPv6 Configuration the same as IPv4.
  b) Make it a tabbed (notebook) subpanel.
  c) Use drop-downs like what is done for interface.
d) Create a tree-display on the fly (this may have the advantage of being able to handle more than 2 IPs.

BTW, there are other types of IP specifications such as dhcp-host and the (pending) new libvirt capability to add ip-route specifications to the virtual-network-bridge.

Gene