Re: Getting started with Pi TV HAT and gpio-ir

Hi all,

I regret that I did not buy the Pi TV HAT earlier. The USB stick is simply garbage compared to it.

The Astrometa USB stick switches channels very slowly and the tuner very frequently produces errors in the bit stream, when using a good outdoor aerial that other devices have no trouble with. By design, its infrared receiver will lose messages when a button is being held down, because a 128-byte buffer of the microcontroller would overflow, and there is no way to use it as a ring buffer (I tried). A kernel maintainer came up with some experimental patches that significantly improved the situation, but every few of seconds some key-repeat events were still being lost.

Thanks for that info. Does anyone on this list maintain or know who maintains https://www.linuxtv.org ? As you say at lot of it is now quite dated.

A couple of my own observations - I have the same issue with the Astrometa receiver, not so good, but my Hauppage USB ones (290 & 292) seem to randomly die, and are harder to get these days - at least at a reasonable price, given the reliability.  I had to fiddle udev to make the Astrometa work with VDR - even latest - and as you say glitches onscreen every few mins, though I was suspecting an EMC/interference problem with my setup, it could just be poor hardware or driver bugs also.

A lot of cheap remotes, incl the Hauppage MVP ones I repurposed, have the problem that the rubber mat bleeds an oily substance after a few years even if kept perfectly clean, as you say open them up with a paint scraper or credit card and clean the PCB & back of the rubber mat with isopropyl alcohol or similar, and they're good for another couple of years.

Richard