Re: Filtering encrypted channels

On 06.04.20 14:49, Daniel Hiepler wrote:
Vom: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 14:31:33 +0200

'1' means that this channel is "hardwired" to device 1, whether it's
encrypted or not. Generally hardwiring channels to devices is not recommended.

'0' means the channel is FTA (free to air, unencrypted).
Values greater than 0xFF define the CA ID of that channel, which means it is
encrypted. There can be more than one CA ID for a given channel, as in
"98C,9C4,98D".

Ah, so when I decode the hex number, any channel with CAID < 255 should be
unencrypted and viewable?

For simplicity, let's just assume that FTA channels have a CA ID of '0',
while encrypted channels have something else. Any value between '1' and '255'
(including) would have to be set manually, which I assume you never did.

(I'm not getting what "device" means in this case)

The 'device' is the receiver (the thing you connect the antenna cable to).

FTA channel that can be displayed:

SWR RP HD;ARD:330000:C0M256:C:6900:5131=27:0;5132=deu@106,5133=mis@106:5134;5135=deu:0:10304:1:1051:0

This one has H.264 video (5131=27).
channel marked as FTA but can't be displayed:

NHK WORLD-JAPAN (eng);Digital Free:546000:C0M256:C:6900:2931=2:2932=eng@3:0:0:53120:61441:10004:0

This is MPEG video (2931=2).

channel with CA ID (can't be displayed):

Euro Star (tur);Türkisch:546000:C0M256:C:6900:671=2:672=tur@3:0:1722,1834,9C7,1861,9FD,1854:53210:61441:10004:0

Also MPEG video (671=2), but encrypted.
You will need a CAM with a proper smartcard to decrypt this one.

Things to test:

- Can your output device play MPEG video?
  Some devices (like the Raspberry Pi, for instance) require a separate license for that.

- Do you receive any data from "NHK WORLD-JAPAN"?
  Check the log entries for "buffer stats" when switching to that channel, remaining on
  it for a while, and then switching to a different channel.

- If you record "NHK WORLD-JAPAN", does it produce a non-empty file?

Klaus